Hidden Natural Treasures
Cape Cod is full of hidden natural treasures that many visitors – and even locals – don’t know about. Among them… some 300 freshwater ponds.
Unlike bay and ocean beaches, where signs point you in the right direction, towns on Cape Cod like to keep their freshwater locales a secret. Fortunately, many are near town centers, so all you have to do is grab a bike and go have a dip.
Top Freshwater Ponds on Cape Cod
Here are the top 10 freshwater ponds on Cape Cod.
1. Grew’s Pond – Falmouth. Located in Goodwill Park, Grew’s has a sandy beach, lifeguards, a volleyball court, restrooms, a picnic area, and a nearby playground.
2. Hamblin’s Pond – Marstons Mills. Children will love the ice cream truck that makes a daily run.
3. Hawknest Pond – Harwich. Only people in-the-know come here to swim. There’s no beach, just a small opening that leads to fresh water.
4. Schoolhouse Pond – Chatham. A small sandy beach, benches, and a row of pines mark the entrance to the pond.
5. Flax Pond – Brewster. Flax’s size and shoreline are perfectly suited for swimming. You can also reserve a campsite at the water’s edge. Be sure to bring a kayak.
6. Great Pond – Eastham. A great spot to cool off after a long ride along the Cape Cod Rail Trail.
7. Dyer Pond – Wellfleet. Walk on the fallen pine needles to the water’s edge and it feels like a remote mountain lake in Vermont.
8. Long Pond – Wellfleet. Blessed with a grassy area for picnicking, a beach, and a gentle slope that leads to the hourglass-shaped pond.
9. Gull Pond – Wellfleet. Surrounded by a rolling hillside, this is a glacially carved pond that retains deep, clean water.
10. Williams Pond – Wellfleet. This sluiceway, as it’s called, was supposedly created by Native Americans to catch herring during their seasonal run.
Cape Cod Family Vacations
No matter which pond you choose to visit, it’s sure to be a fun – even a peaceful – recreational experience. Stay at one of the best places to stay on Cape Cod – Bayside Resort Hotel – and enjoy a relaxing, affordable Cape Cod vacation.
Check out Bayside’s Cape Cod hotel specials HERE.